Friday, February 13, 2009

I Get to Interview the Lead Singer?!!! Well, Maybe if He Wasn't So Weird.

In my last blog, I pleaded with you to go see some live music. I gave you three different options and sent you on your way. When I mentioned going to see Todd Schaeffer, the lead singer of Railroad Earth, I didn't realize just how strange he might be in an intimate setting.
Last night, he performed solo at Sarah Street Grill, playing melodious, soothing, almost lullaby-like tunes on his guitar. I was impressed, and then came time for the interview during his first set break. Of course, there were the usual questions, like "How long have you been playing music?" to which his answer was 20-25 years. Then, "Do you think your personal style differs from the style of the band?" to which he replied yes, and said that his music included more fingerpicking.
Then I came to the question "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and his response was: "Oooh, retired, playing golf...perhaps running for office."
"Really?" I said.
"Noooo, not really!" he bellowed in my face, and then transformed into deep, maniacal laughter for a minute. I laughed, too, so things wouldn't get uncomfortable, even though it geeked me out. Then, he returned to serious face mode and his eyes drifted off toward the other side of the bar.
My next question: "Is there anything you'd like to say to ESU students?" His answer: "YEAH! Get off your asses and come to my shows!" (Another bout of wild laughter, this one lasting longer.) "No, I'd tell them to stop reading this review and start studying." His eyes floated away from my gaze yet again. Then, stone face. I was getting anxious.
After that, I thanked him for his time and concluded the interview.
Umm, weird.

2 comments:

  1. "Umm, weird."
    -- Best ending to an interview, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. --- And screw that guy, he should get off his ass and come to ESU.

    ReplyDelete